11.11.2011

Feature Friday: Leigh Hodgkinson



Leigh Hodgkinson is an animation director and children's book author/illustrator. And I think she is simply brilliant! Her work is bright, expressive, and fun. I'm particularly a fan of her latest picture book endeavor called Limelight Larry. The book "is fantastic because it is about Limelight Larry. In fact, it's SO fantastic that Larry doesn't think there is ANY room on the pages for ANYONE but him!"


The story is in the same vein as The Monster at the End of this Book and Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (interactive books that break the fourth wall). Limelight Larry is truly a clever addition to the growing genre of children's metafiction with its foily surprises and witty construction.

Smile! is another great book by Leigh Hodgkinson. I love the use of textures, the delightful design, and overall endearingness of the story.




Be sure to check out Leigh's wonderful website with all of its whatsits and doodads!


Cheers!
Ben

2 comments:

  1. I brought the book about a year or two ago and I just love it!!!! She has worked with Laura Child and I just think her work is the bee's knees. I just love it! I totally and absolutely agree with you. The colors are fantastic and I love the illustration and that delicious trailer is sooooooo boss!! I can't wait to see the other book. It looks amazing! Thanks so much for sharing this and I hope that you win the contest! Best to you.
    V

    ReplyDelete